Having a large social following doesn’t necessarily mean you’re making a sizeable income online. In fact, there are so many Instagram influencers with thousands of followers who could be harnessing that influence to make a full-time income, but instead they’re sporadically taking on sponsored posts and getting paid only in product.
And while free things are fun and great, what’s even better is taking the brand and influence you’ve built on Instagram and turning it into a steady income stream.
One way they can start monetizing their presence on Instagram? Creating and selling an online course.
Why Instagram influencers should create an online course
Instagram influencers are uniquely primed to be online course creators for a few reasons:
- They’ve already built an audience
- They’re master content creators
Here's an example of how we have used Instagram as a marketing tool here at Teachable: When we have open positions, we post about them on our Instagram feed!
The thing is: it can be hard for Instagrammers to figure out what type of online course they’d like to create. They tell themselves, “Posting to Instagram is one thing, but teaching people how to do something is something else entirely. What could I even teach?”
Now, there are several options here:
- Go the meta route: Teach other people how to be successful on Instagram. Heck, steal one of these ideas:
- How to get 10,000 followers in 10 weeks
- How to create your Instagram aesthetic
- How to build your brand on Instagram
- Look to your niche. Are you a fashion Instagrammer? Create a course on a capsule wardrobe or selling on Poshmark. A food Instagrammer? Teach about food photography or recipe development. A lifestyle Instagrammer? The world is your oyster, ask yourself what you’re good at. Maybe teach:
- How to instill a love of art in children
- How to plan the perfect surprise party
- How to DIY all of your Christmas gifts
- How to train for your first marathon
The great thing about being an Instagram influencer is that people are invested in you. They see your daily posts and updates, they watch your Instagram stories, and they’ve got a sense of who you are.
Your followers are going to trust you over a random internet marketer 100% of the time.
A common objection of would-be course creators is “Other, more successful people have already created a course on this topic, why would anyone want to buy mine?”
And the answer is that people buy courses because of the creator not the content. People buy courses because they already admire what the course creator is doing.
Whether they want to emulate their Instagram growth or learn how to weave beautiful wall hangings like you, people are going to buy your course because of the skills they already know you have and the trust they have in your brand.
For example, I'd buy a course by Emily Primbs of LoomShakaLaka in a heartbeat because I admire her brand and her skill so much, yet I've never sought out a weaving course from anyone else.
If you’re wondering how to create an online course, you’ve come to the right blog. Check out a few of these comprehensive articles we’ve written in the past that will walk you through the process:
And once your course is created, marketing will be the easy part. By building your Instagram account, you’ve already built the perfect marketing tool. We’ve written posts in the past about how to use Instagram effectively as online course creators. Here are a few:
Are you an Instagram influencer? What strategies have you used to monetize your influence? Are courses next on the list?