Hope all our U.S. instructors had a great Thanksgiving holiday! Per usual, here's a recap of what we’ve been up to at Teachable this month.
First, a few of the highlights:
1) Cyber Monday was a record-breaking success!
A lot of Teachable schools were running great deals for Cyber Monday (and Black Friday) -- and it paid off. More on this below!
2) Three new employees joined us:
- Dexter Taylor as senior data engineer
- Howard Kim as frontend engineer
- Steven Chapman as financial controller
3) We’re hiring for several new roles across the company.
Know anyone who wants a new opportunity in 2018? Send them our way!
What Happened In November
Teachable Instructors Set Records on Cyber Monday
The online equivalent to Black Friday is Cyber Monday, and it’s always an exciting day in the online business world. That certainly proved true for Teachable schools! You guys set a new record of most Teachable school sales in a single day. Give yourselves a hand :)
Shoutout to some schools we noticed were offering special deals for the occasion:
- Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing School - course about building a six-figure blog and leveraging it as an affiliate marketer
- Mike Reinold - Mike offers a range of courses related to fitness and rehabilitation
- Amazon FBA Masters - course that teaches you how to build a successful Amazon selling business
- Mattogus - fitness course teaching you how to lose fat and gain muscle
- Fluent In 3 Months - “language hacks” guides to make learning a language easier
- Advize University - collection of courses for medical coding and billing specialists
Did your school run any deals on Cyber Monday? Let us know in the comments!
Live Chat Beta Launch
We mentioned our plans to introduce live chat at the end of September, and our beta launch is underway! We’re rolling out to all schools on Professional (and up) plans by mid-December. Where to find the live chat on your school? You can locate it in inside the Help tab.
Engineering Trip to RubyConf
Some of our engineers went to The International Ruby Conference (aka RubyConf) down in New Orleans, to spend a few days immersing themselves in all things Ruby.
At the conference, they got to meet Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto, the creator of Ruby! Here’s a photo of two of Teachable engineers--Iain (left) and Mike (middle)--with him.
New On The Company Blog
Thinking of changing careers? That’s how we got our account manager, Katie Scott. In this interview post by Casey Kwon, read about how she left her job as a PE teacher in England and wound up at Teachable.
Michael Sterling, one of our software engineers, wrote a post for the blog about the take-home project Teachable uses in engineering interviews. He describes how he handled the project during his own interview, then explains why and how the team decided to revamp the assignment.
First Diversity and Inclusion Meeting
Because we’ve had 100% growth in headcount over the past year, we wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page about our culture and values--so we had our first meeting to discuss diversity and inclusion at Teachable.
We believe it is valuable to have a structured group to discuss and brainstorm ways to build and maintain an environment that’s respectful, diverse, and inclusive.
More to come in 2018!
Teachable Employee Spotlight
Meet Melissa Guller
How long have you been working at Teachable?
I started in August 2017, so it’s been almost 4 months.
What do you do at Teachable?
I’m Teachable’s Head of Special Projects. I work with Ankur, our CEO, on managing new initiatives across the company. Some recent examples include launching Teachable Experts, working on internal planning and goal-setting, and producing some exciting new resources for our instructors. (Coming early 2018!)
What’s the best thing about your experience working at Teachable?
I’m constantly learning from my coworkers, and I love that every Teachable employee has their own diverse set of thoughts, experiences, and skills. I think our projects turn out stronger because everyone brings their unique perspective to the table.
What’s an interesting Teachable school that you’ve come across?
One of my first special projects was to help Robert McKee’s team translate his screenwriting book Dialogue into an online course. This was the first time we were involved in course production for a larger client, but supporting more of the process is something we’re testing and thinking about. You can see the live course here.
What are you most excited about going forward?
I work for Teachable because I enjoy empowering others, and to date, Teachable has focused (pretty successfully!) on helping others share their expertise through online courses. I’m excited to see how the information-sharing industry continues to evolve and expand over the next few years beyond the online course. We’ll see what happens!
When you were 7 what was your dream job?
I wanted to be a ballerina. Spoiler alert: this did not pan out.
What’s Happening Next Month
Holiday Doll Party (for charity!)
As a company we love finding ways to give back, and since the holidays are coming up, we thought we’d do something to make the holiday season special for needy children.
So through the MSTERIO organization, we’re hosting a lunchtime workshop where we’ll put together and decorate handcrafted dolls to send to kids around the world. Once we’re done, it’ll be fun to track the gifts and see where they end up.
Company Christmas Party
In early December we’re planning a night of drinks, food, and good times with coworkers and significant others to kick off the holidays.
We’re Still Hiring!
Teachable Career Opportunity Spotlight: QA Engineer
We’re looking for a QA Engineer to join our growing Engineering team at Teachable. Here are some more details!
Who we’re looking for: Someone who is passionate about UX, has experience with Selenium and other tools, and can work independently. At our-fast paced company, this role requires autonomy and the desire to provide a solid user experience across our platform.
What you’ll be doing: Working closely with software engineers and the product team, you’ll own QA processes for new features. You’ll create comprehensive test plans to ensure our product is working smoothly and providing a seamless experience for our users.
Who you’ll be working with: You’ll be working alongside Artashes Filoyan on the QA team, and interface across our product, data and engineering teams.
All open positions
Here’s what we’re still searching for:
Growth & Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing Manager: Grow our affiliate program by building relationships with influencers and developing marketing materials.
- Content Marketing Manager: Manage content marketing campaigns, run online events, build content partnerships, and ultimately find ways to get our content in front of new eyes.
- Lead Content Marketer: Use technical content marketing strategies to optimize our blog, generate leads, analyze performance metrics, and ultimately help us grow our user base.
- Customer Educator: If you’re a Teachable user, you might already be an expert on the ins and outs of the platform. Put that knowledge to more good use by joining our Customer Care team to help other users solve their problems.
- Lead Product Designer: Take the reins on designing a beautiful, effective product that will be used by millions of people. Join our Product team and collaborate with other departments to take your designs from idea to execution.
- Technical Project Manager: Bring projects together by collaborating across teams (focusing on product and engineering) and improving internal processes.
- QA Engineer: Own quality assurance processes within our product. (See the career opportunity spotlight above for more!)
- Senior Software Engineer: Work on the back end of the product on our engineering team.
- Software Engineer: Either a full-stack or backend engineer to work on production code.
- Software Engineer - Internal Tools: Help Teachable run more efficiently by managing the tools we use internally.
Don’t see a role that fits, but still interested in joining the Teachable team? Pitch us your own job idea in this general application--you might be a perfect fit for a position we haven’t even thought of yet!
Learn more about each opening here on our careers page.
We’re so excited to keep expanding the Teachable team in the coming months. Perks include working in a gorgeous office in Manhattan, working in an exciting and fast-paced environment with awesome people, competitive pay, health care benefits, and more.
See you next month!